You are here
"OPTO" TEAM : Optoelectronics, Photonics and Optical Telecommunications
Optoélectronique, Photonique et Télécommunications Optiques
The OPTO team is involved in both fundamental and applied research in the development and study of new photonics technologies and their applications in systems and components for telecommunications.
The two pillars of the team’s research strategy are: 1) basic investigation into new physical phenomena in order to understand them and to achieve proficiency in experimenting with them, and 2) development of applications to use in transmission systems.
The team's activities have a strong multidisciplinary nature, involving aspects of photonics, optoelectronics, quantum optics, nonlinear dynamics, ultrafast optics, and fundamental aspects of light-matter interaction.
Goals and Research Areas
Current research is being developed in three main focus areas:
› Ultrafast photonics
- Nonlinear propagation in optical fibers, extreme instabilities and rogue waves;
- Ultrafast light/matter interactions, spatial beam shaping and study of their propagation.
› Complex signals and systems
- Optical resonators with whispering gallery modes, nonlinear dynamics methods, frequency combs;
- Delayed nonlinear optoelectronic dynamics, dynamic complexity, chaos and random number generation, chimera states, brain-inspired photonic reservoir computing;
- Quantum optics in the spectral domain, entanglement of large-scale quantum states, quantum random walks.
› Applications and Technology Transfer
- Micro-/nanomachining by high-speed femtosecond laser, with programmable machining profile;
- Industrial applications of ultrafast and nonlinear photonics;
- Photon counting, twin photon sources;
- Applications of optical coherence tomography.
Implementing our work
The team's activities have important, fundamental underpinnings, with a significant risk factor, but their evolution is nevertheless guided by orientations with clear objectives for application, sometimes through close interaction with industrial partners.