You are here
Applied Mechanics Presentation
The Department of Applied Mechanics (DMA) is the result of the integration in 2004 within the FEMTO-ST institute of the Applied Mechanics laboratory R. Chaléat UMR CNRS created in 1962 by Raymond Chaléat. The DMA currently has 110 people, including around forty teacher-researchers and researchers, around thirty engineers and technicians providing administrative and technical support for research activities and around forty doctoral students.
Its scientific scope concerns Materials, Surfaces, Processes & Structures. It intervenes from the heart of matter to innovative integrated technologies in order to functionalize, optimize and control materials, microsystems and structures.
Since January 1, 2021, the department has been reorganized into 6 research teams:
- Materials for ecological transition (MAT’ECO)
- Biomechanics of soft tissues (BIOMECAT)
- Mechano-Chemistry and Tribology (ECTO)
- Intelligent Microtechniques (MICRO)
- Manufacturing Processes and Interactions between Surfaces and Materials (PRISM)
- Dynamics of Smart Structures (D.SMART)
Scientific activities are also based on high-level technological means grouped within two technological platforms:
- AMETISTE : It brings together a large number of equipment for the mechanical characterization of materials, surfaces and structures in a wide range of dimensions and frequencies. It is ISO 9001 - AFNOR certified to enhance the equipment and skills of the Applied Mechanics Department by meeting the study and service needs of industrialists
- MIFHYSTO : It brings together equipment for mechanical micro-fabrication, surface functionalization and hybridization with clean room type processes for the production of components whose dimensions or characteristic details are at the sub-millimeter scale.
applied mechanics organization chart